Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yearbooks don't grow on trees

Cassidy comes to me this afternoon with wide pleading eyes, asking for me to buy the $10 elementary school yearbook. They have offered them in years past, and I've always just thrown the order form away, thinking no one bought the stupid things. But she told me last year she was one of a just 2 or 3 kids in her class who didn't get one. Now, I don't think you should have an ipod or a cell phone just because your friends have one, but I am annoyed at the school for creating this situation for me. I get jr. high and high school yearbooks - they chronicle extra curricular activities, sporting events, student life. Elementary schools: not so much. I doubt they have a student staff to produce such content, and I'm guessing it's just a 30 page book with the school pictures of everyone, The End. However, I don't want her to be the pitiful kid everyone goes home feeling sorry for, whispering to their moms, "Cassidy didn't get a yearbook. P-o-o-r Cassie..."

But I have been there myself. I was the kid who moved into jr. high during the 4th term of seventh grade. I was already having my pre-ordered yearbook mailed to me from a friend in Texas. I hadn't been there long enough to make many seventh grade memories, so I told my mom I didn't need one from the new school. Thus, I was the lam-o who took a spiral notebook to yearbook signing day in which the few new friends I had could write Stay Cool Over the Summer and Don't Ever Change. I had made the decision that it wasn't important to buy a yearbook for 25% of a year's worth of memories - but when it came right down to it, me and my floppy green notebook looked pretty dorky.

It could be that it is the end of a long school year, and I'm just tired of get hit up. Am I off base for giving in? Nathan thinks I shouldn't buy it, because he shares my opinion that it is dumb to have a grade school yearbook. He also says I am on a slippery slope and if I buy one this year I can't say no next year.

What's the vote: should I or shouldn't I?


P.S. No, I'm not getting one for Braden. I already threw away his order form before I realized all this. And yes, I am going to be mean and say they have to share if he acts like he cares about it. I may say he has to wait until he's in third grade. I hate school sometimes.

13 comments:

robmba said...

Print her up some stickers to put in everyone else's yearbook with the URL to her Facebook page. She can tell her classmates if they're really her friend, they'll request to be her Facebook friend.

Nathan Toone said...

NO NO NO NO NO! See how easy it is to say?

I don't care if all her friends have one. It's a good thing for her to learn that just because her friends have one she doesn't need one (as you mentioned).

BTW - she's 8 - so I'm guessing that the "I was the only one" comment was probably a bit overstated on her part.

In addition - she'll get over it.

Melissa said...

I had one for 4th and 5th grade. Which was nice, cause then I moved. I still have lots of memories from the people I went to school with back then. One of the guys in my class drew a picture of Bart Simpson (it was when it first came out) and that's interesting to look at. So, I enjoyed it, but I was a bit older than Cassidy. I barely remember 3rd grade. I would say no, not until she's a bit older, or if you are moving. You're in a tough spot! Good luck!

Brindy said...

My sisters all think that it's weird that the elementary schools up here do yearbooks. I've always gotten one for my two girls. Although, being on the PTA last year and this year at Ellison Park we try to keep the cost down so everybody can afford one. I helped design the yearbook this year and we are only charging $7 -- we're not making much on them and that is fine with us. $10 is a little pricey for an elementary yearbook. I can't say that my girls will ever look at them again...but they enjoyed it for the moment. :)

The Lindsay's said...

I bought the class picture. Good enough! =) I get really tired of those PTA notes (if we don't get enough people to buy them they will be more expensive! - We don't know how many we'll have left over so order now!!). Do they really have yearbook signing days in Elementary School??

soccer mom said...

You know darn well that if Cassidy was one of the few without a yearbook last year, Abby, Levi and Joseph made up the rest of that population. I, too, grow weary of the schools constantly asking for money, especially during the field trip frenzy at the end of the year. Abby brought me her sheet with big puppy dog eyes, and it still went straight in the garbage. I REFUSE to buy elementary school yearbooks.

Lee and Marie said...

My vote is to get her one... not because I'm her aunt and I love Cassidy... but because I wish I had one!!! I went to Jr. High and High School with a lot of people I went to elementary school with and I would LOVE to have a yearbook from elementary school to look back on instead of just my stupid class pictures... considering I had lots of friends in other classes! And I think $10.00 is nothing in compared to the memories and fun things that the friends/students will write to each other! Cassidy could write down some fun things that happened this year in it, you could talk to her about fun things to write in yearbooks so it could become a more fun experience instead of just "Stay Cool"... So my vote is get her one, especially if you plan to live there while Cassidy attends Jr High and even High School! I'm positive that if the students keep those yearbooks they will look back on them in years to come! I WOULD! Okay, rant ended...

Lee and Marie said...

And as for Braden... you could always tell him he has to wait until he's 8 - I mean 8 is the coolest cause you can get baptized... now you can add the yearbook ;)

The Bischoff's said...

I made Aubrey and Jaymz share one in elementary and they HATED sharing because they had to take turns getting it signed- but they LOVE their yearbook and still look at it now (4 years later) It might be more because we moved and its a fun way to remember their "old friends" but I think it was fun for them! They did a great job putting the pics together of all the school activities and extra school things so I think it was worth it! I wish my kids were still $10- not $30!!

thomas said...

I dont have a vote because Olivia and Madison are doing the same thing .. And we were one of those 2 who also didn't have one last year.. I will be curious of the outcome of this vote

Jennifer said...

We get the yearbooks because it has their school picture in it which I'm too cheap to buy. This way I can get one yearbook for all the kids instead of individual class pictures (it has Ashlyn's preschool class in it). Of course, the yearbooks at Ellison are only $7.

Amy Simms said...

I make my kids pay for half with their own money(which is really my money anyway) and then I pay the other half. My boys LOVE their yearbooks. They look at them all the time. I do not buy the class pictures which are almost the same price, and do this instead. They get so much more enjoyment out of it. Be thankful, our school is charging $12.00 for yearbooks this year. Uhg.

Amy Simms said...

ps. Money doesn't grow on trees but sharing yearbooks would suck. My mom made me do stuff like that with my little sis and I hated it! She wasn't as paticular about things as I was, and it was not fun.