Friday, September 26, 2008

A Marathon - of waiting

The last few weeks of pregnancy remind me of what I would guess running a marathon would be like.  Because let's face it, even in tip-top shape, I hate running to the end of the street.  How could I ever know the reality of actually running 26 miles?  I say this because in my mind I picture marathon runners periodically thinking "just make it past the next two trees."  "Only two more street signs and then I'll be within viewing distance of ______."

I think with the mind of a marathoner at the end of pregnancy.  I've been saying things like that to myself all week now.  I cleaned all the bathrooms today, and as I did I counted out that I would probably only scrub the toilets 3 more times until the baby came.  I only drive the school and kindergarten carpools one more time each, and after that the baby will be here before my next turn.  Week 35 has brought new pains I don't remember from previous pregnancies.  I vainly hope they all mean I'm dilating early and I won't have to wait even until an induction date.

Yesterday I was wondering what women did back before elective induction existed.    Knowing it will be "no longer than" keeps me going.  I have much in the way of retrospective sympathy for my poor mother, whose second pregnancy was 16 days overdue.  I'm sure much of it has to do with my congenital lack of patience.  It's a disorder I've almost given up trying conquer.  Even so, if I began my quest anew, now would not be the time!

In a previous post I mentioned ricocheting off the wall.  For your information, I'm predicting my official time of impact with The Wall will be the afternoon of Monday, Sept 29th.  Just so you know.


1 comment:

Larissa said...

For me, I can't believe you're already 35 weeks. It definitely feels like I was just in your shoes yesterday. Those last weeks of waiting are killer!

Rebecca's birthday pics are so darling!