Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The 'Nameless' Post

One of my idiosyncracies is that I think it is weird to call a baby by its name while it is still in utero.  We had the new baby's name chosen even before we were sure of the gender, but for some reason I still call her "the baby," "she," "her," and "it."  My children all refer to her by her name, but I just can't do it.  (In my defense, Nathan calls her "baby" too.)

Rebecca frequently asks, "Mom, is Rachel sleeping right now?"  (If she is still and not kicking my kids assume she is sleeping.)  Braden likes to give me one hug around my shoulders and one on my belly - "one for Mom and one for Rachel."  Cassidy begins many sentences with, "When Rachel is born..."

I'm fully committed to the name:  I have hung the letters on the wall in her room and I am making a Christmas stocking with her name on it.  But I still won't say it out loud.

Here is a photo of the other wall in the baby's room.  As you can see by the empty frames, it is awaiting some cute pictures from after she is born.  This is the conversation I had with my husband upon showing him the newly arranged room:  

Nathan:  "It looks like someone vomited purple in here."
Brenda:  "Oh, you be quiet.  I like it."
Nathan:  "I didn't say I didn't like it.  It's cute."

Gosh, I don't know why I didn't understand how much he likes it - I mean, the word vomit says it all...

4 comments:

D'Neill said...

I love the room!! So cute!!

Kirsten said...

I totally agree with the name thing. We've always (well, except Brynlee) known the name beforehand but I still kept to calling it "the baby" or "he/she" until birth.

Cute room...I love purple. I really tried to get my girls to want a purple room but they wanted pink...so I added lots of yellow so it's not a Pepto-Bismol room!

The Lindsay's said...

I'm glad I painted the girls room purple without telling Craig. He just had to deal with it. But when it came to girl #3 he was emphatic we would not have any pink walls.

You look prepared. Good job. Rachel is a cute name.

Anne and Wayne said...

Your mom keeps me posted as to how you are doing. It's great that all is going well and wonderful that you are going to have a new daughter.