Friday, November 21, 2008

Baby Houdini

At 3 a.m. I awoke to Rachel's angry crying.  Not just the "I'm hungry" cry, but the "you'd better get in here before my vocal cords rupture" cry.  I stumbled to her room to find her mashed up against the crib rail, completely naked except for her diaper!  Now, lest you think that's how she was left, I must establish that Nathan put her in bed at 11:15 p.m. in the center of the crib, wrapped up like a burrito in a lightweight blanket, and wearing a Carter's nightgown like these below:

They are the kind of nightgowns whose necks stretch to fit over the head easily, but I thought it was quite a trick to wriggle out of it.  I imagined it to be a fluke, thinking maybe if Nathan had pinned her arms down inside the Blanket Burrito she was more streamlined than normal and that had assisted her exit from said pajamas.  You know, like a little mad baby torpedo, shooting through crib space.

I got her into a new nightgown -- at 3:00 in the morning I decided the old one was not to be trusted -- and fed her.  Not anxious for a repeat performance, when I put Rachel back in bed I made sure to leave her arms outside the blanket when I wrapped her up, and also placed her right smack in the center of the mattress.

She was pretty darn angry again at 6:00 a.m. when she awoke for breakfast, so I thought maybe I had made the cardinal Mother Sin of sleeping through her crying for a little while.  Not so.  There she was, naked again, all scrunched up in the corner of her crib and squished against the rails.  

Two resolutions from last night:
  1. I should keep a camera in her room to capture her late night antics, because goodness knows I wasn't trekking downstairs to look for it in the middle of the night.  
  2. Rachel has lost nightgown privileges.  Let's see her figure out how to wriggle out of pajamas with snaps.  (I was going to say 'I dare her' to defy the snaps, but I'm afraid she'd rise to the challenge!)

6 comments:

Jill said...

Twice in one night? You are in for it when she's 2.

The Lindsay's said...

Starting some antics early huh? I hope she gets it out of her system before she is a teenager. =)

Amy said...

That is so crazy! You don't usually have a baby that can wiggle so much. Are you sure she doesn't just sit up and pull it off over her head? It would be SO much easier!! I can see it now...the interviewer says "when did you notice that your child was a little advanced" and you respond "when she was a month old and could undress herself"...

Amber said...

I agree with the video to see how she's doing it! Crazy!

LM said...

That is so funny! I still have not seen her, I better get over there before she is dressing herself!

liz said...

That is crazy!! I can't even believe it. You need to get a camera in there...I want to see how she does it!