Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I was culturally insensitive


I grew up in Texas with a lot of Hispanic kids at my school. It is customary in the very Catholic country of Mexico to name little boys after the Savior.  

I knew kids were named "Hay-soos" but I didn't find out that it was spelled "Jesus" until 2nd grade when a kid in my class wrote his name on the chalkboard. I was so offended and told him that wasn't his name and threatened to tell on him to the teacher if he didn't erase it.  

Needless to say, I was the one who ended up looking like the dummy that day. I think fighting with a Hispanic kid about his name is probably the ultimate in Not Being PC.

2 comments:

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

You make me laugh :)

Amy said...

I am sure that almost 20 years later it sure feels good to get that off of your chest...don't worry...I am sure there are worse unPC things you could have done!! You are still a good person!