Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dentists and Dresses

I came downstairs to sit at my desk and file a receipt, then remembered that my sheets from my bed are in the dryer.  I'm putting off going upstairs because I know I'll just have to put them back on the bed . . . 

Rebecca (and Braden) had the appointment to get cavities filled at the dentist yesterday. It went like a dream!  I had set up a contingency appointment with a pediatric dental specialist just in case it didn't work out, but was crossing my fingers hoping to cancel it because it was going to require conscious sedation (i.e. lots of drugs).  She did fantastically well.  She was so cooperative and obedient, and the dentist was able to drill and fill both small cavities without any numbing shots.  Becca has told me two or three times today, "I went to the dentist and he used his funny stick and his buzzer and his tools and his blue flashlight to clean my teeth."
 
Cassidy is so excited to get baptized this weekend.  Her great-grandma brought her birthday gift early because it was a fancy white church dress to wear on her baptism day.  Cassie made me laugh because she told Grandma Neilson, "Oh, Grandma!  This dress is so pretty and I love it!  All my other friends had white dresses to wear on their baptism day, and I just knew I wouldn't be able to have one so I was a little sad, but it is exactly what I wanted."  I chuckle at those little things that kids get their hearts set on but don't bother to tell their parents about.  If she would have just mentioned to me that it was so important to her, I could have gotten her that dream dress! As it stands, she is lucky to have an intuitive grandma who knows just what little girls want for their birthdays.  

It reminds me of myself a little though, because I never went to a rock concert when I was a teenager:  I was sure my parents would say no if I asked, so I never bothered.  (In my defense, there were quite a few things I wasn't allowed to do . . .)  Years later after I was married I told my dad about my dreams of unrequited concerting, and he said, 'Huh.  You could've gone.'  But in his defense, now that I know how much it costs for a ticket to a concert, odds are I would have been too cheap to spring for a ticket anyway!

No comments: