Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Avon Necklace, circa 1992

This weekend my mom reminded me of a story that is too good not to share...

At the end of my seventh grade year, there was a boy named Paul who had a crush on me.  We had health class together and he sat right behind me since our names were close alphabetically.  One day, he came into class, dropped an inexpensive-looking necklace on my desk and said, "Here."  He stood there looking expectantly at me, and not thinking, I brilliantly assumed that he had found it on the floor in the hall.  I picked it up, and disdainfully handed it back to him, saying, "I don't want this!"  Poor Paul's face fell, and he said disappointedly, "...but I got it for you."  Realizing my faux pas and not knowing what to do about it, I responded sheepishly, "Ohhh.  Thanks."  And instead of graciously putting it on, I put it in my pocket!!!!

Upon closer inspection, the gift was what can be expected from any socially-inept 13 year old boy to an equally socially-inept 13 year old girl.  The chain was gold-colored nickel with tiny fake pearls and orange (yes, orange) colored beads.  There was a little Avon charm attached near the clasp.  As an adult, I completely realize I should have worn it to school the next day to erase the poor boy's heartache from my "I don't want this," but I didn't.  I was so embarrassed that Paul (whose love I sadly did not reciprocate) had gotten me a gift that I went straight home and put it in a drawer.  It did not see the light of day again until 2 years later when my mom happened upon it and asked me where it came from! 

My mom likes to tease me and tell me I was a 'clod' but really, in my defense, what was I to think of this 'gift,' so lovingly plopped without ceremony, wrapping, or bow on my desk in my 7th grade health class?? 

I think everyone probably has a similar story, so I call upon you ALL to search the crevices of your memory to find a story of your own teenage social blundering to post!!!!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I don't blame you at all. Avon jewelry is not that cool. And I sell Avon. One I went Hur, I'll never go back! I'll have to put some serious thinking into my story to share.

Andrea said...

So, you know I'm short. In 7th grade I was the shortest girl in school. I went to the first dance of the year and this kid kept following me around. He followed me to the bathroom and waited until I came out and kept following me around. He finally asked me to dance because I was the only girl shorter than him. I said NO and never went to a junior high dance again!!