Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Baby Disclaimer

Yesterday Rachel wasn't her perfect-for-a-baby self.  She seemed to be hungry all day long, and had the misfortune of that day landing on the same day I was really busy at the house trying to do laundry and clean the kitchen and drive the school carpool and take Cassidy to dance and run to the grocery store.  

Poor kid, she was hungry right at the beginning of dinner and started crying so loud that I put her infant car seat in the bathroom and shut the door because it was the closest room that had a door to close.  She was still in her car seat carrier because I was hoping she would stay asleep after her car ride to the dance studio, and I figured she could wait 7 minutes while we ate.  Nathan said that the bathroom is a gross place to have a Baby Time Out.  I told him it wasn't gross.  It would have been gross if I had put her in the toilet.

She really is a great baby almost all of the time, and I am not going to throw in the towel any time soon.  If I loved breastfeeding more (I pretty much just tolerate it because it is good for her health and our bank account) and if I was more patient (once a baby goes for 3-4 hours between feedings I unrealistically expect that to happen all the time) and if she enjoyed sitting in her swing or bouncer chair (she seems to feel the same way about them that I feel about breastfeeding). . . . . . . . . . . . 

THEN I wouldn't have had a bad moment.  I don't really think she hates me.  (But thanks to all my friends who gave me online sympathy.  Do you call that an i-hug?)

2 comments:

ellen said...

I bet she'll turn out OK if she's bottled fed. :)

ellen said...

I mean "bottle fed". Dur.