Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Date to the Nerd Cinema

Nathan was working late, Cassidy was performing in the stake musical, and Becca and Rachel were in bed on Friday night.  That left Braden and me together for some quality time.  I had started a recorded episode of Nova while I fed Rachel, and Braden came into my room and began watching it with me.  The subject was not what I'd call kid-friendly, and I thought for sure he'd be bored after a minute and a half.  Rather, he was enthralled and stayed with me until it was over.  I'm almost embarrassed to tell you the topic that held my six year old son's attention so raptly:  Fractal geometry and its real world applications.  

Come to think of it, I suppose I should be embarrassed for myself as well!  When it was over he told me how much he enjoyed it and asked if I had another show like that we could watch together.  We rounded out the night as True Geeks, mother and son, sitting on my bed eating popcorn, drinking lemonade, and watching the episode of Nova about the discovery of dinosaur fossils in Alaska's Arctic wilderness.

This afternoon Braden said he wants to see another show like we watched last night.  I guess when I break out the ep about the crash of space shuttle Columbia, I've got a date.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'll have to send Harrison over to watch some Nova. We don't have DVR, so we always seem to miss it. No wonder he and Braden are such good friends (most of the time).

Amy said...

I will say the factual geometry show does make me look at you in a different light...perhaps I will have to flash different shapes at you when I see you next time at church. You have no reason to be worried about the dinosaur show...it does sound cool.

It is always fun when you are able to find something that you and a child both love and have a great time together doing. I am sure it was a GREAT night!

Steven Price, CPA said...

Ashley likes to watch Nova also. She and I sat and watched one about string theory a while back. I get a little bored with them after a while because they show the same one over and over again. (Not that I completely understood it.) It is fun to learn new thing though and feel like your brain is still growing.

"All you need is love" said...

Brenda,
I am not surprised you were watching Nova and there is no shame, better than 101 hollywood mishaps or something deadening. I don't even know what the heck fractal Geometry is, I don't even think I spelled it right. Math was light years over my head every year I took it. By the way, Cassidy was ADORABLE in the stake production. She stole the whole scene, such a great job.

Melissa said...

I think nerd-kid-bonding is very cool. When can Camen and I come over?

Amber said...

We're nerds at our house too (obviously from Steve's comment).