Sunday, July 27, 2008

Zucchini Bo-nini



I love zucchini, but really all I've ever done with it is steam it, sautee it in olive oil or butter, and shredded it for zucchini bread or chocolate zucchini cake.  If I'm honest, the real reason I plant it is for the zucchini bread... BUT, luckily, I happened upon an article in a parenting magazine that had recipes for summer garden vegetables.  

Some, like the zucchini pizza and meatless zucchini tacos, will be forever untried, because, Yuck.  However, I thought the recipe Grilled Zucchini was great!

Grilled Zucchini
2 medium zucchini, cut into quarter spears
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Ground pepper to taste
1/2 tsp salt
Chopped thyme, to taste (I have an herb garden, so I like fresh.  I'm sure dried works too.)

Mix oil, vinegar, and seasonings in large bowl.  Add zucchini and toss with hands until well coated.  Grill over medium heat for 4-6 minutes.

On a side note, Cassidy was with me at the grocery store when I purchased the red wine vinegar.  She is so conscious of trying to choose the right, that she became very concerned when she saw I was buying something with the word WINE on it.  She then asked me if I thought someone could get drunk if they drank it.  She felt a little better (but not all better) about my purchase when I explained to her that vinegar is so gross that no one would ever be able to drink enough red wine vinegar to produce intoxication.  I still don't think she's totally on board with my RWV, but at least she stopped talking about it...

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I had to laugh about the red wine stuff. My neighbor in AZ when I was growing up always brought us Rum Cake for Christmas. He knew we were LDS and didn't consume alcohol so he always assured us that the rum gets baked out...hmmmmm, it sure did smell awfully suspicious....

liz said...

I tried a Zucchini Pie recipe. The article swore it tasted like apple pie. I tossed the recipe after I tried it. Not a good combo...

Amber said...

I love cooking with zucchini.

We love it in roasted veggies.
http://www.soggycheerios.com/archives/89

We also love it sauted in some olive oil with some garlic and then eating it plain or with some spaghetti sauce over it (in place of noodles).