I remember being so irritated that I had to sit by the class Bad Kid during rug time because his last name started with a 'B' and so did mine. Poor John Barrientos spent a good share of his time in the time out desk at the back of the classroom.
Kindergarten is also the only time I remember wetting my pants. I'm sure it happened before that when I was toilet training, but this was the first time I was old enough to know better and to be embarrassed about it. We were told to use the restroom at the end of recess, and I tried, but the line was very long and I wasn't able to get in before the back-to-class bell rang. We went straight to P.E., and I asked the teacher as soon as I got there if I could go to the bathroom, but she impatiently told me I should have gone at recess. Unfortunately for me, she began the class by taking us all out to the basketball court and giving us each a hula hoop. We set them on the ground, stood in the center of the hoop, and then she said, "OK! Everybody straddle!"
You can't hold it when you straddle.
Bryan McCarty (top row) is in the red and navy striped shirt. Hantse Costas (second row) sports the Mickey Mouse shirt and stylin' tube socks. Bad Kid John is third kid from the left on the second row, right next to me. Hint: click right on the picture to see a larger version. This will give you full appreciation of Bryan and Hantse's attractiveness. I'm sure you can also see mischief in John's eyes too...PLUS, to brag about my astounding memory, I will have you know that I could name both first and last names of all but two of the kids in this class picture without looking at the cheat sheet on the back.
8 comments:
hmmm...cute boys you were in love with! That's hilarious! Great story, too....:-) It was fun to see the picture.
What a great story! Gotta wonder where they are now? I bet Hontse is styling tube socks. No fair that your brain cells don't get sucked away when your pregnant. I couldn't remember anything when I was pregnant with Lauren.
I didn't remember that Barret (of bus riding fame) was in your kindergarten class too!
In the interest of full disclosure, you never were much of a pants wetter. The only time I remember was when we were visiting Grandpa Sharp and you wet the bed, probably because there wasn't a convenient bathroom in the basement.
You failed to mention in your kindergarten memories that you failed using scissors properly...don't you think that is something that people should be aware of???
Mom
What a cute little Brenda...this can't be a carefully selected picture, they only take one class picture! I might someday find a cute picture of my youth, but most of them are scary!
The wetting story is very touching and I am sure it was cleansing to share...however...I remember wetting my pants about 4 months ago...I was kneeling by the porcelain throne getting rid of lunch...you can't hold it when you have lost bladder control in your 30's. I feel your pain!!
hey--Brenda---I am Hantse's mom.
Hantse's brother found your blog and picture and sent to us. Cute.
I had not seen that picture in so long. What is your maiden name?
Did you and Hantse graduate together? Bryan married about 6 months or so ago. Hantse has been married for about 4 years and is having his 4th child. How is that for fast work? Thanks for the memories. Anne Costas
Anne - My maiden name was Belliston. I moved out of state in 7th grade, so Hantse and I did not end up graduating from high school together. Pass on my congratulations to Hantse on the birth of his latest child. I actually just gave birth to our fourth child a few weeks ago - although my husband and I have been married for 9 years, not 4 like him! (He's a quick one, I guess!) Good for Bryan for getting married too. He used to live around the corner from us. Thank you for the update. The Internet makes for a small world!
Hey Brenda--thanks for the reply.
I will share your info with Hantse.
I wasn't sure if I would remember you. Hantse sure might. You are right about the internet making the world a smaller place. Fun!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Anne Costas
Post a Comment