Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nathan gets one, I don't


I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while.  I have been rather busy playing my new Wii Fit.  Oddly enough, it gets me sweating and breathing hard more than doing a half hour workout on my elliptical trainer, so I'm pleasantly surprised!  When I set up my profile and did the initial body test for the game I got to choose between a male or female trainer to instruct me during the game exercises.  The whole family was watching, and I joked to Nathan about choosing between "the Hot Man, or the Lady."  I chose the lady, but now every time Rebecca sees the man on the others' exercise programs, she exclaims, "Look!  It's the Hot Man!"  She thinks that is his name.  The take-home message:  watch what you say around a bright three year old.  Nathan has suggested that I put a BMI tracker on my blog so you can all track my progress, but I don't want to, because that also means you will all know if I fail.  :-)  

Nathan took 12 consecutive days off work to stay home for the holiday week (the 12 day count includes the weekend days - don't get too jealous.)  This has helped me realize more than ever that moms don't get days off.  I was so looking forward to at-home relaxing with the family, and that part has been nice.  However, my responsibilities have continued as normal:  full day of laundry yesterday, still responsible for making dinner nightly, the need for putting away Christmas decorations hanging over my head... Don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge Nathan his at-home vacation, and he HAS helped both entertain and manage the kids.  I just wish I could have a real vacation from my work like he has from his.  (He turned his email server off so that he doesn't even get his work email.  I haven't figured out how to turn off the kid cry/fuss/whine-mail server.)

And I also think that a nursing mother shouldn't have to breastfeed on her birthday.  But the baby didn't agree.

Beware of goofiness.  The following video is one that Nathan took of me playing Super Hula Hoop on the Wii Fit.  When he converted it from QuickTime format the aspect ratio changed so I looked...chunkier than normal.  He knew the first thing I would say was that I looked fat, and he spent 30 minutes trying to fix it, so I feel guilty not posting it.  And no, he wasn't able to fix it, so I admit to chunkiness, but not as much chunk as you see in the video.  (When Rebecca asks in the video if my 'eyes' are getting tired, she means 'thighs.')  Here's to you, Nat!



10 comments:

Amy said...

Oh don't you worry...when you started saying that this can't be very exciting...you were VERY wrong. I was completely enjoying it. You wanted me to post a funny elf'd video of Dave, but this far out weighs that!! I might have to come over for a good old fashioned hoola hoop contest!!

Jewels said...

Go Brenda!! You are the best hoola hooper ever! That was fun to watch and seriously you look great! I'm glad you guys had a good Christmas, have a Happy New Year!!

liz said...

That is so HOT! That super Hula Hoop is hard. You are brave to post it. I am also surprised by how out of breath and sweety I get from Wii Fit.

Maybe we should both post our BMI. It would be hard to fail if we knew people were watching.

Melissa said...

That reminds me of when Camen was two or three years old and we passed a few male runners on the road that had taken off their shirts. Camen asked, "Why did they take their shirts off?" I responded, "Because it's summer time and they are hot."

A week later we were out driving again and Camen said, "Look Mom! There are some more hot guys!" I think it was my sister that was in the car with us and she couldn't stop laughing.

LM said...

That looks like fun! We got a Wii Fit too, but every time it gets turned on I run away...I am more of a Nintendo DS game player! I guess I should give it a try!

Natalie said...

I'm so proud of you for stepping up to the challenge (pun totally intended)! That video seriously made me smile....and it made me think that this would be a really good ab workout! Now do you think we could get this YouTube video to go viral?? Or just have fun trying??? Happy New Year!

Jennifer said...

Way to go!! You are very brave. I'm not sure I would let Leon tape me doing hula hoop. I do however love that part of Wii Fit. It's my favorite aerobic activity on it.

The Lindsay's said...

So, Craig has had time off from work too. I totally agree with you! I wish I could get a break from the daily grind. I'm glad to have him home but come on the laundry needs to be done man, give me a hand!

The Wii fit looks fun!

Jill said...

I really gotta get me one of those! Okay, BOTH a vacation from my mommy duties AND a Wii Fit. Although, the summer athletic games really wear me out, so that's a start.

Amy Simms said...

You go girl. Sounds like I need to get a Wii fit. Thanks for being the first and only person to comment on my blog in over three weeks. I guess we're boring, thus another reason we need a Wii fit. Ha, ha. (: Hope you had a great Christmas!

Love, Amy

ps. I did not see the chunckiness. You look great! And I agree with the no nursing on your birthday idea. I will have to remember that one!