Friday, October 31, 2008

No Blues for Me

Last weekend we had a sighting of the Vomit Comet at the house.  Up at 4 a.m. Sunday morning to feed Rachel, used the bathroom, saw a deep dark shadow in the sink...when the lights were on, it turned out to be a gift from my son.  So I got to scoop it out into the toilet with a paper cup and then disinfect the bathroom in the middle of the night.  No sense waking Nathan.  (Bright side:  Braden made it to the sink, took care of his bid-nazz, and went back to bed with no carpet trail or coming into our room to wake us up.  He was repeatedly praised in the morning.)  At wake-up time Cassie went downstairs, got breakfast for Becca and herself, got all ready and dressed for church, then came to me and said her stomach hurt.  Take off your church clothes, get a bowl, and lay on the couch, I told her.  Of course by this time Nathan had left for his PEC meeting with the bishopric, so he missed her puking episode too.  I had cleaned it up by the time he got home.  The two of them recovered after a lazy couch and nap day, and went off to school on Monday.  All Monday morning Becca complained of a tummyache, and by 3:20 that afternoon she had thrown up in her bed during her nap, and I had to strip the bed, wash the sheets, bathe her, and change her clothes.  Of course, Nathan had just left to go pick up the afternoon carpool at the elementary school!  

It boggles my mind, that on a weekend+day off work, with three children throwing up in succession, he managed to miss every single time!!!  I was lucky I didn't experience the baby blues after this pregnancy.  What with the triple throw ups and the person from our neighborhood who was supposed to bring us dinner one night and forgot (the kids had sandwiches and we ended up with 9 p.m. takeout) I think I might have been one depressed lady.  I'm very grateful that the stomach bug passed over Nathan, Rachel, and me.  That would have been awful!  As it is, I was able to laugh at what a bummer of a first weekend home with a new baby it was.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I heard you had sick kids for a while. That's no fun. I can't believe Nathan missed all of them. I'm also surprised someone forgot dinner. I hope it wasn't me. :) Just kidding, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. I hope all is better now. Let me know if you still need anything, like dinners or something.

Kirsten said...

Landon and I both got it about 10 days ago. His was about 12 hours before me and no one else got it. I am so thankful he made it into the bowl every time and I made it to the toilet about 6 times between 2:30 am and 8:30 am!

Amber said...

We've had the sickies at our house too. No fun!

"All you need is love" said...

"...At wake up time" Is the official term used in the Toone residence?
I too, can remember the first time Gavin got himself up at night to vomit and didn't even bother us, it was a great moment.