Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Political Musings

If McCain wants to guarantee that we will not raise taxes, but we will be the peacekeepers and ethical interventionists worldwide and that he will buy up all the bad mortgages all at once, where is the money going to come from?  From not raising taxes?  Oh yeah - from eliminating earmarks.  Ha.

If Obama says that 'we went to the moon in 10 years without knowing how we would do it, and just by setting the goal we made it happen' and insists that the same thing is possible regarding energy independence...I think he trying to say, "If you Goal it, the technology will come."  Now, I'm all for goal setting, but ... How is it that he says things like that, but when asked how he would fix the woefully mismanaged entitlement programs of Medicare and Social Security, he claims it is a really tricky problem and he can't really set a time on how long it might take to fix.  It doesn't even take a scientific invention to fix those!!!!!

I don't like my choices.  Just as soon as one of the esteemed senators vocalizes a good idea, I am sure to completely disagree with the very next idea from his mouth.  Maybe I should pick the one who likes me best.  I mean, to John McCain, we're all "friends."  To Obama, we're just "folks."   Or pick the one who is coolest!  That's how people voted for the Student Council in school.  If Utah wasn't such a nothing electoral state maybe I could pick based on who handed out the best bribe-candy at the door on the way into the school-I-mean-polling-place.  If only campaign promises were worth more than a plugged nickel.  Why did I want to be a grownup in the first place?  Oh yeah, so I could make my own decisions.  Dang.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so disenchanted with Obama and McCain that I'm seriously thinking about voting third party. (That might be upsetting to the suffragettes, but I think they would be understanding given our current situation.)

Jill said...

At dinner tonight Kels and I were talking about this same thing; neither candidate appeal to us. This morning Doug Wright brought up a good consideration: Vote based on how each candidate would shape the supreme court. 3 Justices are rumored to retire and so the next Pres may have the opportunity to place 3 new Justices. And there go all the 5/4 decisions. Something to chew on anyway.

Amber said...

Honestly your vote means nothing considering your location. ;) Vote for Bob Barr. (Totally kidding). More importantly who are you voting for locally- those are more important races in an irrelevant start anyway.

robmba said...

The important lesson is to figure out what is important to you and vote. Voting third party is a good option, because every vote for them is a sign to the two big parties that they're not meeting our needs. The supreme court issue is a very important one, as are the local races.

It's interesting to look at the statistics cited recently in several newspapers about how Utahns ranked very low in terms of voter turnout in the 2006 elections. That's because it was a non-presidential/non-gubernatorial election year. Look at the years when there are big offices up for grabs and Utahns have higher than average election participation rates. That tells us that we generally care less about local races, which is the exact opposite of the way it should be.

Last night, I posted part of Craig Ferguson's monologue from the Late Late Show a couple days ago, where he stresses the importance of voting. As crazy as he is sometimes on his show, he also points out some very important issues, such as this one. Another night, he stated, "If you don't vote, you're a moron."